Bottling Beginnings - The History of PenBev

PenBev Emerges

PenBev is an independent bottling company that holds the rights to manufacture and distribute the products of The Coca-Cola Company within the Western and Northern Cape. Based in Parow Industria, PenBev employs over 1 300 people.

PenBev officially opened for business in 1940 with the first plant in Marine Drive, Paarden Eiland and eight years later, a new plant in Mowbray was opened, which remained there until 1966 when it moved to its current headquarters in Parow Industria. The rapid expansion of PenBev led to the construction of a factory in Athlone Industria and since then depots have been established in Paarl, Vredenburg, Blackheath and Worcester.

In a bid to establish PenBev as a ‘greener’ company with a reduced carbon footprint, the Athlone Plant, Worcester Minerals and Koelbly (Edms) Beperk were converted to distribution depots and manufacturing now takes place in the state-of-the-art facility at the Parow Industria Plant only.

PenBev works on a set of management systems that provide guidelines to ensure the Safety, Health, Environment & Quality systems are maintained by conforming to Coca-Cola standards, SABS, as well as required legislation. Our manufacturing facility confirms to the strictest standards and is certified against international standards for:

  • Quality (ISO9001)
  • Environment (ISO14001)
  • Health and Safety (ISO18001)
  • Food Safety (ISO22000) and
  • Housekeeping and Hygiene Standards (PAS220)

The water used in the manufacturing of our products is of the highest quality using Nano filtration, which includes 6 purification steps.